It’s that time of year again. Next weekend you’ll sacrifice an hour of sleep in exchange for a few months of extra daylight. You will set your clocks forward one hour because Daylight Saving Time officially begins at 2:00 a.m. local time on Sunday, March 11, 2018.
Locations that don’t observe DST
A few places in the United States and Canada do not observe Daylight Saving Time:
- Arizona (except for the Navajo, who do observe DST on tribal lands)
- Puerto Rico
- The United States Virgin Islands
- American Samoa
- The Northern Mariana Islands
- Small regions of Quebec
- British Columbia
- Most of Saskatchewan
If you happen to be living in one of those places, then you can quit reading. As for the rest of you, please continue!
New displays are already programmed
Daylight Saving Time officially starts on Sunday, March 11th at 2:00 a.m. local time. That is the precise time that clocks will move ahead by one hour.
The good news is you don’t have to stay up until 2:00 a.m. local time to change the time on your Daktronics display. Our new displays are already programmed to make the changes for you!
If you still want to double check and make sure your displays are running the correct time, follow the instructions below in Venus 1500 V4:
Step 1: Set the time zone to the correct time zone in Venus 1500 configuration menu.
- Click on the Application Menu (Orange V) in the upper left corner of the software.
- Hover over Configure, and click on Displays.
- Click on the Display Name; select Edit display.
- Press Continue 4 times until you see Set Time Zone.
- Choose appropriate Time Zone and Daylight Saving Time setting.
- Press Continue.
- Select Finish.
Step 2: Sync the Time Zone and DST to the display.
- Make sure the correct display is selected in the Select a Display drop-down menu on the Home tab in the software.
- Press the green Refresh arrows next to the display name.
- Close out of the Venus 1500 V4 software completely.
- Reopen the Venus 1500 V4 software.
- Select your display from the Select a Display drop-down menu in the Home tab.
- Select option to Synchronize Time Zone when prompted.
- Verify time is now correct in the software and out on the display itself.
If you have an older display, it may not recognize the change from daylight saving time to standard time or vice versa.
In 2005, the U.S. Congress announced a change to the effective date of DST starting in 2007. As a result, Daktronics customers who use equipment or software from before September 19, 2005, may not have their time adjusted forward.
These customers can choose to manually adjust the time on their displays to keep it accurate. Most customers are already aware of this, but for locations where the equipment operators have changed, this will be new for them.
Please read the below Knowledge Base articles for this issue:
- Daylight Saving Time adjusted a week earlier or didn’t adjust on the time and temperature display.
- Galaxy display (M2): time is off by an hour before or after Daylight Saving Time (DST), even though DST is enabled in the software.
If you have any questions, experience any issues following those instructions, or notice that your display and software are not showing the correct time after Daylight Saving time takes effect, then please:
- Give us a call at 1-800-DAKTRONICS (1-800-325-8766).
- Submit an online request to us at our Contact A Trainer website.
- Check out the Knowledge Base on our support site for articles about Daylight Saving Time for additional help and information.
We have provided extensive coverage of Daylight Saving Time in the past, so you can also read our previous blogs to learn more.
As always, thank you very much for reading this week’s post, and please let us know if you have any ideas for future posts!
If you found this post helpful, then be sure to click the orange button on right side of the page that says “Receive Email Updates” to subscribe.